Learn a framework not a language. The framework is a trojan horse for the knowledge you need of the language.
– Learn Rails, not Ruby.
– Learn Django, not Python.
– Learn Phoenix, not Elixir.
– Learn .NET, not C#.
– Learn Laravel, not PHP.
– Etc etc.
A few notes from today’s episode:
1. Look around at the industry you want to be in, what are other people spending 80% of their time on, that is only getting them 20% of the result? Hard to identify what exactly that is? If you have trouble with this, just identify what people spend 80% of their time on, and do the opposite. This is what makes people massively successful, mark my words.
2. SKIP OVER what you identified in #1. SKIP OVER what most people are doing. This is taking MASSIVE ACTION. Massive action is relative. Relative to the rest of humans on this planet, are you taking massive action?
Here are some examples of taking massive action:
– Learn a Framework: Deploy ANYTHING to Heroku (that only you will see) by tomorrow. No excuses.
– Learn a Framework: complete 1 page that has some functionality you agree with yourself ahead of time, deploy it to Heroku, then send to 2 friends on Facebook and ask them to try and use it.
– Go start interviewing for jobs, NOW. WHY WAIT? Stop sitting around and take action.
– Want to start a podcast? Launch a crappy first version by TOMORROW.
– Want to write a book? Launch a crappy first eBook by next Monday. No matter what.
Stop trying to make everything perfect on the first try, just focus on making stuff good on the second try.
Your first handful of job interviews, book chapters, podcast episodes, programming projects – they will all SUCK on the first go around. BE OKAY WITH THAT and push forward and keep going and you will advance beyond the crowd. Most people either A) get obsessed with making the first version perfect and never go anywhere, or B) feel so depressed from their first version being a failure they never go anywhere. SKIP OVER ALL THAT, and get somewhere.
Or don’t, and continue to take small actions, and remain in limbo for the rest of your life.
This is my challenge for you. Are you up for it? Tweet me @dainmiller and let me know you are taking massive actions. Ask me questions on the best massive action to take. I will hold you accountable. You aren’t allowed to do small things if you are following me. I will make sure you are accountable. Go to twitter and follow me and let’s do this.
Have a great weekend, see you next week.
PS – If you have found any value in me or my work, I would be honored if you could leave a podcast review for Start Here: Web Development – it would mean a lot. 😌
– Click this link.
– iPhone: It will auto redirect to the Podcasts app (or App Store) on iPhone.
– In the app, there is a “Ratings and Reviews” tab
– Click “Write a review” and can enter there. You can also just tap a star rating and be done very quickly. :)
– Click this link.
– Click “Open in iTunes”
– Click “Ratings and Reviews” tab
– Click “Write a Review”. You can also just tap a star rating and be done very quickly. :)
Check out Team Treehouse to grow as a programmer! starthere.fm/treehouse